Reis Magos Fort : Goa Directory

 

Most Well Preserved Fort

Reis Magos fort is yet another marvelous historic monument located in the Reis Magos village, Bardez taluka of North Goa. The giant fortress lies at the northern bank of the Mandovi River. It is one of the well-preserved forts of Goa.

The great Reis Magos Fort was built in the year 1551 by the Sultan of Bijapur Adil Shah. However it was annexed by the Portuguese in 1760. The fort saved the Portuguese from the attacks of their Maratha enemies. Its favorable location at the mouth of the Mandovi estuary helped them gain an upper hand over their enemies.

After the collapse of Portuguese rule, the fort was used as prison for quite sometime. The Reis Magos church, present at the base of the fort, is a must see. The church is dedicated to St Jerome. It is well known for the colorful 'Festa dos Reis Magos' (Feast of the Three Wise Men) held on the 6th of January every year.

Goa Directory Help Desk for making better communityPlease feel free to write us for giving your any valuable suggestion / feedback / comments etc to improve Goa Directory for the community.

Tag Clouds : Reis Magos Fort,Goa Reis Magos Fort,Goa preserved fort, Goa Travel guide , Goa Tourist information, Goa tours, Goa hotels,travel and holidays  Goa India

Reis Magos Fort : Goa Directory
 
 

See Also