Convent of Santa Monica and Chapel of Weeping Cross : Goa Directory

 

Asia's first and largest nunnery

Convent of Santa Monica and Chapel of Weeping Cross are situated in the Monte Santo of Old Goa. These were built in the year 1606. The completion of these historic buildings took almost 21 years.

The Convent of Santa Monica is of great architectural and historic importance to Goa. It was suppose to be Asia's first and largest nunnery. The chapel has four altars. These are dedicated to St. Monica (the mother of St. Augustine), Bom Jesus and Immaculate Mary. There is also an altar dedicated to the Crucified Christ popularly known as the Weeping Cross.

The Chapel of the Weeping Cross is an integral part of the Convent of Santa Monica and occupies the southern part of the complex. It is a massive three floor convent. On the 8th February 1636, the image of Christ opened its eyes and from its wounds blood appeared to flow as though it were living. The miracle is said to have occurred again on the 12 of the same month, in the presence of the Viceroy, Bishop, as well as many other people. The image was from then onwards declared miraculous and held in great veneration. The convent has now turned into the house of the Museum of Christian Art.

Goa Directory Help Desk for making better communityPlease feel free to write us for giving your any valuable suggestion / feedback / comments etc to improve Goa Directory for the community.

Tag Clouds : Convent of Santa Monica and Chapel of Weeping Cross,Goa Convent of Santa Monica,Goa Chapel of Weeping Cross, Goa Travel guide , Goa Tourist information, Goa tours, Goa hotels,travel and holidays  Goa India

Convent of Santa Monica and Chapel of Weeping Cross : Goa Directory
 
 

See Also