Aguada Fort : Goa Directory

 

17th Century Well - Preserved Portuguese Fort

Aguada Fort is a well-preserved Portuguese fort lying close to the Aguada beach in Goa. It was built in the 17th century and is one of the several Portuguese forts scattered across Goa.

The impressively beautiful Aguada Fort was constructed in way back in 1612 and stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi river. It was mainly built to safeguard Goa from the Dutch and the Marathas. It was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. A freshwater spring within the fort served as a good source of water for the ships that halted here. And hence it got its name "Aguada" meaning "Water".

Another historic marvel the 4 storied Portuguese lighthouse is a valued possession of the Aguada Fort. It was erected in 1864 and is one of the oldest in Asia.

History says that the Aguada Fort was very precious to the Portuguese. It is the only fort that was not conquered by any invaders during the 450 year long rule of the Portuguese empire.

Goa Directory Help Desk for making better communityPlease feel free to write us for giving your any valuable suggestion / feedback / comments etc to improve Goa Directory for the community.

Tag Clouds : Aguada Fort,Goa Aguada Fort, Goa Travel guide , Goa Tourist information, Goa tours, Goa hotels,travel and holidays  Goa India

Aguada Fort : Goa Directory
 
 

See Also